Head of Technical Development
Mercurytide are a leading web development company which focuses on producing brilliantly designed bespoke software that is tailored to meet our clients’ needs. We believe in listening to our clients and producing technically outstanding solutions which not only address their immediate problems, but that are robust and scalable enough to deliver long-term success.
That’s where you come in. We are looking for a talented Head of Technical Development for our Edinburgh office. This will ideally be a technical guru, who is also comfortable with providing matrix management for our team of developers, in this role you would be the functional manager. This will be a varied role with a range of responsibilities from working with our development team to improve performance, assisting with mentoring and providing guidance on best practice and leading the development and implementation of our strategic technology roadmap.
What you’ll be doing:
- Supporting and mentoring your fellow developers, leading them to develop successful projects and providing constructive feedback to help drive ongoing improvement
- Setting an example for high quality and guiding the team on best practices
- Reviewing and improving our technical capabilities and development methodology/process
- Designing technical solutions which fulfil client requirements in innovative yet practical ways
- Designing and building reusable systems and libraries
- Writing well designed, efficient, and maintainable Python code within the Django framework
To be considered for this position, you need to be:
- At least 10 years of web software development experience
- At least 2 years of experience working in a leadership/mentoring role with other developers
- Capable of asking the right questions to uncover the true needs of our clients, in order to propose the best solution
- Happy to challenge the status quo and ask difficult questions to help us deliver the best results
- Always looking to improve yourself through new skills, technologies, and tools
- Embarrassed to deliver a half-hearted job and always take pride in the work you produce
- Creative, and able to apply your own ideas to the task at hand
- A self-driven web-technology expert
- Driven to deliver the best solution in the most effective way
You will ideally have:
- Experience with Python, and preferably also Django, although experience with Node.js, Ruby on Rails, or other similar web development platforms is also valued
- Extensive knowledge of browser capabilities
- Superb written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of Linux development and deployment environments
This role is based in our Edinburgh office, so you should be in the area or willing to relocate. Salary is very competitive but is dependent on ability and experience and we issue a short test as part of the application process to help us assess this. Mercurytide offers a range of benefits, including generous pension contributions, private health insurance, and regular social events, among others.
Does this role fit you? Apply now!
Let's start the conversation and see if we're a fit for you and you're a fit for us. Fill out the simple form below, or email us at email@example.com with your CV and a short letter describing why you'd be a great fit for us here at Mercurytide. We'll take a look and come back to you.